.

Monday, February 25, 2019

Academic Autobiography Essay

Thinking near college and your future flight can be truly overwhelming at the beginning. Theres so much to consider when it lists to getting erect for college where to go and what to study. Ive heard it said that some dates a student will fancy college fully aware of what they want to do in life, and doggedly pass along their undergraduate goal after four eld of diligent study. My college passage didnt start off on the best footing. I was a dreadful student in amply tutor, chronically absent, and not doing preparation even when I could be releaseed to attend kind.My Arlington, Virginia high crop was competitive, and my mother relentlessly referred to my performance as not living up to my potential. However, there was iodin class I never missed, and that was Madrigals, my high schools elite choir group. There was no thing I enjoyed more than than signing old songs in a tightly knit group. When it came time to carry out to colleges, I was in a quandary. My SAT scores were high enough to get in just somewhat anywhere, save my floor point average was so low that I did not previse any school to be interested in having me as a student.Then I saw a poster for ward College in the choir room. It was in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, which was near enough to be convenient, but far enough amodal value that I would definitively be on my own. Shepherd also had a very early date for notifying approved applicants, and it glum out that my guidance counselor knew their director of admissions and was willing to put in a good word for me. I applied to them early, and to my surprise and moderation they sent me the Thick Envelope of Acceptance.Having gotten in somewhere, I didnt bother to apply anywhere else, and after attending summer school one last time to make up yet another class for which I hadnt shown up during the regular year, I was on my way to historic Shepherdstown to start my higher education career. I spent a year at Shepherd, and it was the s ame story all over once more I attended my music classes and did well, but dropped al more or less all of my schoolman courses. after(prenominal) a year of this mediocre performance, the worst possible thing happened from the perspective of academic success I fell in have intercourse with a graduating senior.She was returning to her native Delaware on graduation, and with the finely honed reasoning that only(prenominal) eighteen year olds can display, I decided the obvious chemical reaction on my part was to drop out and go with her. Rather than fag out the faithful reader with the details, suffice it to say that over the course of the close ten years, while moving around the East Coast, I amassed step by step credit from Shepherd College, Virginia Commonwealth University, Northern Virginia Community College, North Carolina Methodist College, and Strayer University.Meanwhile, I had changed majors from Music Composition to Music program line to Communications before finally becoming involved with information technology. The 90s were a great time for skilful people. No one cared about college degrees, as demand for competent labor was too high for employers to care about anything other than ability. After the burst of the dot-com bubble, however, things changed completely. One of those changes was my attitude toward terminate my degree.Since the ads for jobs in my field had gone from saying Associate degree preferable to Bachelors degree required, Masters preferred, it seemed that the time had come to burnish what I had started. There was a higher motivation, however, in that my years as a professional had changed me I had become serious about setting goals and reaching them. I initially considered returning to Strayer University. However, I was dismayed by how long it would sorb me to finish there, as I only had about seventy credits all told.Strayer would demote me some advanced standing for having earned the Microsoft Certified Systems Enginee r technical certification, but I knew that the expense of their courses would mean that I could only take a few in a year. The time had come for research. After scouring the Internet looking for the best option for me I run aground and decided on Charter Oak State College. I looked at my transcripts and the requirements for their Bachelor of Science, general education, and Information Systems Studies concentration, and was pleased to be able to make up all of what I had done to meeting requirements.Moreover, after looking at earning credit by standardized examination, I realized that it would be the most efficient way for me to demonstrate what I had al warm learned. I was very thorough in my preparation for applying to Charter Oak. While getting ready to submit my materials, however, there was one more interesting plot misdirect to my story. A friend of mine discovered that I was evaluating colleges for degree completion, and on seeing how well I had navigated all of the availab le materials, suggested I apply for a position at Keiser College in Florida, where he was chair of the crease department for the online campus.I remember thinking that if only I could finish my degree and be done with it, I could wash my hands of academe forever. Now, however, I finally appreciate the benefits my undergraduate experience has given me, from both general education and my concentration. Most important of all, I am ready and eager to experience the next chapter of my academic autobiography.

No comments:

Post a Comment